Thursday, May 19, 2005

garbage truck, radio talk, and my frickin camera

It was raining hard last night and I thinking jackknife, right? Nope, we got a rollover- garbage truck! so I’m getting all exited, not just because I can take pictures and my boys at IDOT are going to be there but because the towing company I work for is contracted with the state police to recover in that area!!- So that means I get to get my hands dirty!



 



Well I get there, its one of those things where the company drivers is begging to let his own towing company do the job. In any case IDOT has first dibs no matter what and they opted to upright it instead of dragging it to the next exit, but still I’m exited, I’m there and I get to take pictures of my buddies and we will still get to tow it. – Not so fast. IDOT hooks a chain to the front and drags it around so they can get perpendicular to it. They did a nice job but right b4 they start the pull, my camera takes a dump!



 



I knew it was getting a little older but this is not good. Now I have to buy a new camera and this couldn’t have come a worse time, I have no money and now to have to come up with a few hundred- WTF? That’s going to have to wait for 2 or 3 weeks. To top that off, the towing company that was called by the driver shows up after IDOT relocates it to the next exit so our company did not get the tow.



 



So here are the pictures from the wreck up until my camera took a dump.

















About the radio procedures, a friend of mine was the first to arrive on scene and he made some mistakes on the radio when he called in what was going on. He was caught up in the moment, adrenalin pumping, ect.. and he said some things before he knew all the facts and did not relay all the pertinent info.



 



We have all been there, first one on an accident scene and you are not thinking strait. The reason I bring this up is because when ever you come across something like this, it is extremely important to calm down and be very careful to give full pertinent, details to the proper people and relay all the necessary information.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home