Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Veer angle and angle factor multipier

I want to add something to my explanation of the Yates recovery regarding the placement of the straps and the angles they are at. An extremely important point about the placement of straps and the angle they are at, and this holds true for all snatch blocks and any angle on any winch line or strap it the angle factor multiplier.
With out teaching a whole class here I will give a very brief explanation.
Than a wire rope travels thru a snatch block and then travels in a different direction, the load on the snatch block (and what ever it is attached to) is NOT just the line tension. you must use an angle factor
some examples are if the line is at an angle of:
45* - angle factor is 1.84
90* - angle factor is 1.41
135* - angle factor is .76

now I know some of you are lost but hold on it will come clear
here are 2 examples of what I am talking about



 







As you can see that line at 90* has an angle factor of 1.41 X the 4,000lb line load= 5,640



And the strap with the aprox 135* has a angle factor of .76 X the 4,000lb line load =3,040



 



This is why I do not like the straps at a 90* angle, it just adds to the pressure and that is why after so many recoveries there is a big dent where the strap was.



 



HOLD ON: I know some of you are saying "this guy is wrong" or "no way, these numbers are off".



Keep in mind that these numbers are examples only and some of the theories used in this post are debatable but are good illustrations, also this theory is a formula taught by Wreckmaster.



 



THE POINT of my post is to show that a strait-90*-strap puts more force on that 1 spot than a strap- traveling around the corner at a softer angle - such as an approximant angle of 135*.



 



Discloser #2: this post and the pictures have been checked by the profesionals at wreckmaster and they have reached the same conclusion that I have in my formulas and work.